Victorian Brain Bank
Our aim is to provide researchers, both in Australia and internationally, with high quality, well characterised post-mortem human brain tissue and related samples that will facilitate research into discovering the causes and consequences of different brain disorders.
About the Victorian Brain Bank
The Victorian Brain Bank (VBB) are the custodians of a collection of brains and related samples that have been donated by individuals:
- who have had neurological and neurodegenerative diseases such as Alzheimer's disease, Motor neurone disease, Lewy body disease, Huntington’s disease and Parkinson’s disease;
- who have had psychiatric disorders such as bipolar mood disorder, depression and schizophrenia;
- as well as who suffered neurotrauma;
- and who are healthy ‘controls’.
The VBB supports research into the study of brain disorders by providing tissue to researchers who, using current technologies, aim to unlock our understanding of how brain diseases occur and this will hopefully lead to:
- improvements in diagnosis;
- the development of early diagnostic tests;
- development of effective treatments, and ultimately a cure
The VBB would like to acknowledge the generosity shown by the donor and donor families in donating tissue to the VBB. It is an act of great foresight and kindness to give at a time of loss, so that others may be helped in the future. The clinicians and researchers who benefit from these donations are very grateful to the donors and their families who support them in these decisions.
The VBB would also like to acknowledge the following funeral directors who have agreed to support the VBB by transferring donors for the donation procedure.
- Allison Monkhouse Funerals
- Bethel Funerals
- Brember Family Funerals
- Jensen Funerals
- Le Pine Funerals
- Nelson Brothers Funerals
- Tobin Brothers Funerals
- WD Rose & Joseph Allison Funerals
- William Matthews Funerals
- William Sheahan Funerals
Brain Bank Head: Professor Catriona McLean AO, Bsc, MBBS, FRCPA, MD, FFSc (RCPA), FAHMS
Ms Fairlie Hinton, VBB Coordinator
The Florey Institute of Neuroscience and Mental Health
30 Royal Parade
PARKVILLE VIC 3053
T: 61 3 8344 1900
F: 61 3 9349 5105
Brain health affects all Australians. You can support our research by making a donation or a bequest.