In Systems Neurophysiology we seek to learn how the nervous system controls various bodily functions and how that control is altered in disease. Our disease focus includes not only neurological disorders such as epilepsy and multiple sclerosis, but also how the nervous system impacts on non-neurological diseases such as heart failure and inflammatory diseases. A clear understanding of basic mechanisms is crucial in developing better therapies and reducing the impacts of illness.
A glimpse at our projects
- The taxonomy of enteroendocrine cells and their innervation.
- Modulation of intestinal inflammation through nerve stimulation.
- Novel drugs and receptors for targeting neural control of digestive function.
- The gastrointestinal complications of Parkinson’s Disease .
- Gut Health: an intersection of food, environment, animal production and global health.
- Nutrition: The control of gut hormone release by nutrients.